- Most efficient panels on the market
- National coverage
- Cradle to Cradle sustainability certification
- Great warranty coverage
- Customer service varies by local dealer
SunPower has been around since 1985 and are highly experienced in the solar industry. They offer solar panel installation in every state across the country, so no matter where you are, they can help. The BBB gives SunPower an A+ rating (compared to the industry average)
In the last few years, SunPower has shifted their focus to the commercial solar energy industry. However, this week they announced that they’ve made a significant investment in residential solar technology. That’s great news for any homeowner considering going solar because SunPower offers some of the highest quality panels on the market.
SunPower’s greatest strength is its high quality, innovative solar technologies and the systems it designs and installs which are always comprehensive. This solar solutions company has a product portfolio of high-efficiency solar panels manufactured by Maxeon, which recently spun out of SunPower to form its own entity. This type of panel is designed and made by Maxeon, one of main suppliers manufacturers in the industry. You can trust them because they\’re experts in this field.
SunPower’s high-performance Maxeon panels are some of the most efficient and durable solar panels on the market. They’re also the world’s first solar panel to be certified Cradle to Cradle.
SunPower, with a strong presence in the manufacturing and commercial solar sector, is doubling down on residential services and we expect this to be a big boon to their bottom line.By acquiring Blue Raven Solar in October 2021, SunPower demonstrates its commitment to expanding its share of the residential market. They are very experienced with excellent customer service and innovative financing options.
Sun Power Products and Services
SunPower Solar Panels
SunPower offers four types of solar panels:
- SunPower just released their most powerful panels so far, and they can provide up to a 22.7% efficiency rating with the world’s first 400-watt cells. You also have the option of having them installed in your house
- X Series: The X panels are built with Maxeon solar cells, having a 22.7% efficiency rating up to 370 watts for space- constrained projects.
- Maxeon solar panels typically provide an efficiency rating up to 20% and is available in a range of wattages, for example 320, 327 or 435 watts. If you’re looking for an all-rounder Maxeon E series is a great choice.
- SunPower panels are built with unique shingled solar cells and offer the highest efficiency rates on the market. Besides their 380-400 watt panel, they have a 350W and 300W model for commercial projects.
SunPower Solar Storage
Unlike other solar companies, we have our own storage systems. These are highly efficient and perfect for pairing with your solar panels.
SunPro offers a lot of different storage solutions, but there are two in particular that stand out. SunVault is designed for residential use and stores up to 1.3 kilowatt hours worth of energy, while Helix is used in more commercial applications and can store up to 20 kW hours worth
Combining energy-efficient SR4 battery packs with SunPower solar panels can maximize the opportunities for consumers to conserve energy and keep their home running smoothly.
This is a massive advantage when it comes to solar panels, as they require an uninterrupted power supply. These battery systems also monitor the state of the local grid, so you’ll know when it goes down and be able to keep on running.
Customers who prefer to use other brand batteries, needn’t worry. SunPower solar panels are compatible with a variety of battery systems, like the Enphase Encharge and Tesla Powerwall.
SunPower Solar Panel Installation Process
SunPower takes pride in providing customers with a seamless and smooth experience that can be completed entirely remotely if preferred. Its intuitive design studio even lets you design your own home solar system from the comfort of your own home, so you can see what you’re getting before it arrives.
We partner with local solar installation firms who can set up the system for you. SunPower is hiring contractors to work on your solar system. They’ll customize them for the region you live in which means they’re tailored to local weather patterns, building materials and city codes.
If you were to use SunPower solar panels, the installation process usually looks like this:
- Get free, personalized solar quotes online. Just enter your zip code, how much energy you currently use, and your credit score for a no-obligation estimate of the cost and potential annual savings.
- Solar consultation: Feel free to consult with our representatives from this link and start taking advantage of the free quote that you’ve been offered. At this stage, you will have the chance to ask any questions about our design and how to meet your home’s energy needs. After this, we’ll be able to provide you with a proposal
- We’ll do all the paperwork and get your solar permits and approvals finalized for you. The process can take up to a few weeks due to the permitting process, which is why we highly recommend that you contact us before installation.
- SunPower hosts solar installations from one of its certified partners to make sure the installation process is flawless. SunPower’s top dealers are part of the Master Dealer program, a rigorous selection that ensures you are getting the best service. The installation is usually finished in just one day.
- ISunPower has a team of licensed, qualified inspectors who will ensure that your system meets all city and safety regulations. They will oversee the installation process and arrange for inspections to take place. The inspection outcomes are then sent back to you, at which point you can turn on your system
Solar Panel Warranty
SunPower offers complete energy solutions. This ensures that not only do you get a warranty on the panels but also the inverters and other items in the system. The one-stop-shop offer even includes peace of mind – their ‘Complete Confidence Warranty.’ With our exclusive Performance Warranty, you’ll enjoy a 92% energy output for 25 years! And all repairs due to material defects, workmanship or performance issues are free during this time.
SunPower’s warranty is one of the best in the business, and it reflects the company’s success at executing its core goals of delivering a safe, reliable experience for their customers. Here you can see how easy it is to get an installation done with them:
SunPower Solar Panel Systems Cost
It’s hard to predict a solar provider’s cost for a single individual, as prices depend heavily on where you live, your home and electricity needs.
Though SunPower may have a slightly higher average price tag than some other providers, its business focuses on efficiency, which is beneficial for long term value.For homeowners with limited roof space, opting for the most efficient panels should cause you to need fewer panels overall.
Many small local solar installers offer discounted deals and discounts to undercut the big companies like SunPower. That’s why it’s smart to get quotes from multiple companies and compare them in order to find the one that offers the best solar panels at a competitive price. Ensure that you get the quality panels that are going to provide you with a good return on your investments. The cheapest panel might come with high up-front costs or a panel installation service fee, which in many cases proves to be most expensive.
Financing Options Through SunPower
SunPower provides three solar financing options for customers, all guaranteed and backed by the SunPower 25-year warranty.
- Buying outright means you’ll get the most return on your investment and the shortest payback period.
- With a third-party loan, you can purchase your solar equipment and repay it in %x years on average.” If you choose to go solar, you still owe for the system and will be able to claim the federal solar tax credit. You should also take into account that you will be paying interest on top of any applicable loan fees.
- Lease solar panels: SunPower offers residential solar leasing where they will retain the ownership of the panels and the customer pays a monthly fee to purchase the power they generate. You don’t have to worry about installation costs, as they are usually covered by the provider. Plus, your monthly bill is likely to be smaller than a normal one. Unlike a solar panel or other system, you don’t get any benefits for ownership like a boost in your property value.
Reviews Do SunPower Customers
Along with other large solar operations, SunPower’s size is a both a strength and a weakness. Positive SunPower solar reviews praise the company’s customer service, installation teams & system performance while negative feedback seem to be mainly focused on the lack of communication. Indeed, the majority of SunPower reviews are positive.
Positive SunPower Reviews
Positive SunPower solar reviews show that customers are happy with the brand’s commitment to good customer service, the best warranty and highly efficient products.Below are a few examples of reviews that showed they were pleased with the current level of customer service, experienced dependable system performance and were aware there are exceptions to every rule
- “We have had our panels for a few years now and they’ve been great. SunPower replaced the inverter awhile ago with no trouble whatsoever and I would absolutely recommend SunPower for solar power!” —Terner M
- I faced some unforeseen obstacles during my move which caused the process to take longer than planned. The communication and customer service was really good. They kept me in the loop about everything and showed up on time for any meeting I had with them. All the staff that came to my house were really nice too. They’re leaving me with a positive impression of their company. Recently, I had the pleasure of working with this amazing organization. It went smoothly, and I highly recommend them.
Negative SunPower Reviews
SunPower’s negative reviews generally seem to come when there are communication issues. SunPower is a large company, which means that sometimes the customer experience can be difficult.Some customers may want to reach out to a single point of contact when they go through the installation process. Installing with local installers can add an “in-house” feel to the work and make customers more comfortable.
Despite its size, SunPower has a relatively low number of customer reviews. A couple of them are:
- We purchased a house with a solar system that has an early buyout option we’re considering. SunPower, the company in charge of it, has been unresponsive to our texts and questions.
- We’ve had solar panels for three years. This past May, we were notified that something had gone wrong with our solar panels. They’ve been coming to replace them but they can’t seem to find the problem yet.
Our Take on SunPower
SunPower is one of the most reputable solar companies because of its great customer service, wide selection of products, and warranty. They also offer complete systems for your needs. SunPower has an A+ rating from the BBB, which is a good sign of their commitment to providing top-quality products and service to their customers. They’re also taking steps to improve any weaknesses in their business model by expanding availability options for homeowners, including leases and loan options.
Overall, we recommend SunPower to homeowners who prioritize simplicity, reliability and efficiency. The main downside with them is the high initial costs, but this can be offset by using more efficient products over time. However, homeowners with plenty of space on their roofs may find that lower-efficiency panels offer more value. Local competitors may also offer more competitive pricing in order to undercut the larger competition.